Fwd (kielmann at cs.vu.nl): Re: [saga-rg] SAGA, object states, and concurrency

'Thilo Kielmann' kielmann at cs.vu.nl
Wed Aug 2 17:42:50 CDT 2006

All,

the (my) aim of the current discussion is to separate SAGA-related issues
from language-specific issues. SAGA-related issues belong to the SAGA spec,
the others to specific language-bindings docs.

In this context, I am concerned about sections

1.3.6 Object State
1.3.7 Life Time Management
1.3.8 Freeing of Resources and Garbage Collection

about 1.3.6:
it is not clear (to me ;-) why
prev. error condition and callbacks MUST NOT get copied
can anybody give a motivation for this, please?
(and include it in the document)

about 1.3.7.:
as I wrote earlier, this should simply become:

> The SAGA specification does NOT address issues of object life cycle
> and memory management at all. It is subject to the language bindings
> of SAGA to define this in a way that suits the respective programming
> languages.

about 1.3.8:
I am worried bout the last sentence. Please make a link to section 1.5
Otherwise, I am afraid, this might open the door to "weakly compliant"
implementations.

Thilo
--
Thilo Kielmann                                 http://www.cs.vu.nl/~kielmann/