[saga-rg] multiple inheritance...

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Fri Sep 2 10:29:12 CDT 2005

Hi all,

as we started to define the strawman in a OO way, we decided
to use only simple OO features, and in particular no
polumorphosm and multiple inheritance.  The strawman right
now respects that.

However, as we now ponder over additional interfaces, such
as permissions, we get into trouble: the file class would
for example implement both the attribute and the permission
interface, and hence would be inheriting multiple bases.

In terms of implementation this can be avoided I think,
although not beautifully.  Hence the question, if that
limitation is neccessary/wanted/needed on specification
level.

Plymorphism on the other hand can _not_ easily be avoided on
implementation level once it is written down in the spec,
and hence should not enter it.

So, my opinion is to allow multiple interfaces on classes in
the spec, bat take care that an implementation can be done
w/o the need for multiple inheritance.

Any other opinions? :-)

If not, I would adjust the respective part in the intro.

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |