[saga-rg] Fwd (cdekate at cct.lsu.edu): SAGA API comments

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Sat Oct 29 15:18:42 CDT 2005

Hi,

below are Chirags comments to the saga strawman and his use
case.  I think the suggession to add an update_location
method to logical files is a good one.  It basically would
be an atomic version of a remove_location add_location pair.

Thanks Chirag!

Cheers, Andre.

----- Forwarded message from Chirag Dekate <cdekate at cct.lsu.edu> -----

> Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:00:14 -0500
> From: Chirag Dekate <cdekate at cct.lsu.edu>
> To: Hartmut Kaiser <Hartmut.Kaiser at gmail.com>,
> 	Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net>
> Subject: SAGA API comments
> Cc: Gabrielle Allen <gallen at cct.lsu.edu>
>
> In the Logical Files section,
>
> Consider a scenario where one logical file name (LFN) maps to
> different physical file names (PFN). The API description in its
> current form allows end user to create such LFN-PFN mappings.
> However in cases where the LFN - PFN mappings needs to be updated
> based on the current state / availability of the Physical Files, the
> existing API will need to be extended.
>
> General comments regarding the Strawman API Document:
> The Context API : To be able to seamlessly switch between different
> authentication and authorization mechanisms would enable several
> scenarios that would enable use of datasets and resources in practical
> situations where environments are based on heterogeneous middleware
> technologies.
>
> As an overall comment, once the strawman is finalized it would be
> helpful if samples with ample documentation are made available. There
> are several API constructs whose use would become clearer if sample
> application strategies are presented. One way would be an idea bank
> that acts as a repository for ideas on how the API would be used to
> solve different usecases, moderated by SAGA steering committee.
>
> Chirag Dekate

----- End forwarded message -----

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |