Subject: Re: [Fwd: [saga-rg] monitoring, again...]

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Nov 9 07:48:29 CST 2005

Quoting [Raul Sirvent] (Nov 09 2005):
>> Ah, I am having a Deja Vu here :-)  I found in one of our
>> earlier discussions:
>
> You mean we are always talking about the same thing? That's not good... :)

Right you are!  How is wether in Barcelona :-P?

(Hehe, now that I am in Louisiana for a while, and don't
have to suffer from the rainy Dutch Fall I actually dare to
ask :-P)

> Yes. It is clear now. You support a threaded model with asynchronous
> notifications, and you don't support a non-threaded model with
> synchronous notifications. I'm just a bit worried about the CPU wasted
> with active waits (to receive callbacks) in the main thread, or even
> having to insert sleeps (as you do) in the code. Do you think it is
> really so difficult to support both? (as Globus does, for instance).

difficult not:

 void event_poll
 {
   while ( ! event_counter )
   {
     // that noeeds virtually NO CPU
     nanosleep (10);
   }
 }

The internal callback mechanism would then increase
event_counter before any callback is issued.

The question with that really is:

 - do you want to wait for specific types of events
   -> how are types specified?
 - do you want to wait for events from any task?
   -> what object has the event_poll method?

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |