[saga-rg] Task model...

'Andre Merzky' andre at merzky.net
Thu Nov 3 18:00:20 CST 2005

Quoting [John Shalf] (Nov 03 2005):

>>> I think that 4a2/4a3 actually allow nicer
>>> implementations, as it allows to have the different
>>> async parts somewhat separate from the sync parts.  We
>>> think its nicer :-)
>>
>> 4a3 the only implementation in a C++ like manner I can
>> think of, which provides:
>> - an interface which conforms to modern C++ concepts
>>   pushed by Boost et.al.
>> - it avoids not needed overhead if some of the features
>>   are not needed/used (this gets optimised away by any
>>   decent C++ compiler)
>
> Well, if the compiler can actually take advantage of that syntactical
> convention to apply more efficient optimizations, then that is a
> clear advantage to that approach (whether or not I find the syntax
> obscure).

_S_AGA.  If it is obscure to you or others, its not a good
choice.  Performance is a second order issue.  However, as I
said before, I kind of like the template thing :-)

And, Hartmut, forgive me for calling it cute... ;-)

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |