[saga-rg] Task model...

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Nov 2 09:59:59 CST 2005

Hi Thilo, John,

I should have made more clear, that the API spec would
contain only 4a (not 4b, as nobody seems to like the flag
version, fortunately).  the 4a1, 4a2 and/or 4a3 would go
into the language binding for C++, and are merilly
illustrative for how 4a could look like in a OO language
binding.

Anyay, yes, it seems people are happy with going for 4a, so
I will put that into the strawman until SC05, unless there
is any negative feedback by then.

Thanks for your comments,

  Andre.

Quoting [Thilo Kielmann] (Nov 02 2005):
> Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:56:24 +0100
> From: Thilo Kielmann <kielmann at cs.vu.nl>
> To: John Shalf <jshalf at lbl.gov>
> Cc: Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net>,
> 	Simple API for Grid Applications WG <saga-rg at ggf.org>
> Subject: Re: [saga-rg] Task model...
>
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 02:57:22AM -0800, John Shalf wrote:
> > I prefer 4a1 because it is more readable and the implementation would
> > be quite straightforward. It is also a familiar paradigm for any MPI
> > programmers and anyone who has played with various proprietary Async
> > I/O implementations. (its a very familiar and conventional approach)
> >
> > I kind of like 4a2 as well from the standpoint of a C++ programmer
> > (even with Andre's syntax corrections).  However, the resulting
> > bindings will not be very consistent with the approach we would take
> > for Fortran or C bindings (eg. those would likely look more like
> > 4a1). It is not really much more readable than 4a1.  Therefore, I'm
> > uncertain if it is worth fragmenting our approach to bindings in
> > different languages when there is not a clear benefit in terms of
> > readability or implementation complexity.
>
> Taking these arguments together, we should opt for 4a1 !
>   - more readable
>   - closer to Fortran bindings and other archaic languages ;-)
>
> Thilo
| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |