[saga-rg] Task model...

Thilo Kielmann kielmann at cs.vu.nl
Tue Nov 1 10:08:49 CST 2005

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 11:06:01PM -0500, Andre Merzky wrote:

> Hi Group,

Hi Andre!

> Well, here we are really: the proposal is following:
>
>   P1) get rid of the task factory (there seems no need for it)
>   P2) allow tasks which do     run() on creation
>   P3) allow tasks which do NOT run() on creation

Agree!

> Questions:
>
>    Q1) any comments to the Boston discussion?  I hope I reflected that
>        correctly...
fine

>    Q2) are there any drawbacks by introducing 4a or 4b, apart from the
>        additional number of calls?
I don't think so

>    Q3) Are the advantages (simplicity for most usages, powerfull for
>        bulk operations and others) good enough to introduce 4a or 4b?
Yes! advantages: a) simpler -- no more factories
                 b) more powerful -- matches e.g. GridRPC requirements

>    Q4) You like 4a or 4b better?

4a!

>    Q5) Any comments to 4a1, 4a2 or 4a3? (not part of the Strawman!)

4a2 has inconsistent syntax. I prefer 4a3, and also 4a1

> Please answer before November 10th: firstly, we would like to finish
> the task model soon, in order to get the Strawman stabilizwed before
> GGF16; secondly, we would like to come to a decision during the F2F
> meeting at SuperComputing in Seattle (November 12-18).

See you there!

Thilo
--
Thilo Kielmann                                 http://www.cs.vu.nl/~kielmann/