[saga-rg] Fwd (hupfeld at zib.de): Re: SAGA Strawman API Version 1.0

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Mon Jun 20 03:21:18 CDT 2005

Not w/o semantics, but the programmer has to assume worst
case.

And, as Jon & John point out, that is not so different from
what you have 'locally'.  If you open a file for write, you
SHOULD assume worst case, that is the file is on NFS/AFS,
and POSIX consistency is NOT guaranteed.

A.

Quoting [Thorsten Schuett] (Jun 20 2005):

> I see the point that it is hard guarantee a specific consistency model in SAGA
> or make it a configuration option to choose one. But if you completely ignore
> this topic in the specs you will end up with a good spec of the syntax but
> without semantics.
>
> My 0.02???,
> Thorsten

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |