[saga-rg] requirements doc...

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Jun 16 13:49:49 CDT 2005

Hi group,

as you know, the requirement document (RD) is a huge missing
piece in our milestones, and also is something that nobody
happily wants to do (Gabrielle and I volontieered once, but
never really did it :-( ).

OTOH, we already have a strawman candidate, and in that
sense we are ahead of schedule.

Now, that would open a new approach for the RD, but I am not
sure if thats a good one.  So, here it is, please give
feedback.

  The RD is supposed to evaluate the Use Cases (UC), and to
  derive requirements to the SAGA API, both functional and
  in terms of design.

  Since we have the Strawman, we could do through the use
  cases, and decide:

  - UC1, file read:     ok in strawman
  - UC2, replica find:  missing in the strawman
  - UC3, task graphs:   50 % in srawman (tasks, but no
                        dependencies)
  - UC4, thread safety: not specified i strawman
  - etc etc

  That is fairly easy to do, and would give a RC which is
  very useful to the strawman evolution.

  OTOH, its not exactly the approach one should go for a RC.

Any feelings about this?  Would it be stupid for some
reasons?

Cheers, Andre.

>> Hi Tom, Shantenu,
>>
>> I pondered a while about the requirement doc (RD).  To rephrase
>> what we know: the RD is supposed to exatrct a list of exact
>> requirements to the SAGA API spec and implemenation from the
>> set of use cases (UC) we have, and from general design
>> constraints (80:20 etc).
>>
>> Now, we already ha a strawman.  One approach for the RC
>> would be, to map the strawman to the UCs, and define missing
>> pieces.  That is the whole process backwards, I know - but I
>> think its still a valid approach.
>>
>> Also, I think that would be much easier than to start from
>> scratch, and would yield results much easier to use.
>>
>> What do you think?  If you agree, I would put that proposal
>> on the list.
>>
>> Cheers, Andre.

----- End forwarded message -----

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |