[saga-rg] proposal for extended file IO

Andrei Hutanu ahutanu at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Jun 13 17:55:34 CDT 2005

>How would that work?  Outside of SAGA I see what you mean,
>but in SAGA we have no (and intent no) generic mechanism to
>access a Grid Service, and to perform generic custom
>operations.

Outside SAGA, of course :)

>>Isn't data selection too application specific to be included in this?
>>

>Ah, but the application specific part is NOT part of the
>eRead proposal - that merrily provides a placeholder for
>doing that in a clean way!

I was thinking that the data selection operation as described in the
proposal is a very specific
operation and that there might be many remote data operations that
cannot be covered
by this. For example when I think of remote data selection I think more
in terms
of starting a remote job (using SAGA),  communicating with the job
using specific protocols (perhaps grid services implemented on top of the
SAGA streams) and transferring data from the remote job locally
using SAGA streams. The job itself is using SAGA to access the file.

There's a lot of SAGA involved here but there is no eread and using
eread would be a limiting factor.
Eread basically means (start job, send command, receive response, end job).
That's perhaps a limiting model for remote data access.

My 2 cents,
Andrei