[saga-rg] SAGA Design Team meeting today

Shantenu Jha s.jha at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jan 31 10:37:29 CST 2005

Reminder: The second phase of the SAGA Design Team meeting begins today.

For those who are attending via Access Grid, we will be using the LBNL
institutional venue.  Please contact Lloyd Belknap at ag at lbl.gov to tell
him you are participating.  We are currently seeing numerous multicast
problems on ESNet, so be prepared to use a bridge.  Lloyd will start
setting things up at 8am (PST).
 https://agschedule.ncsa.uiuc.edu:443/meetingdetails.asp?MID=7392

Rough Agenda (by John Shalf):
Day 1 (Jan 31): Editing:  It appears we still have some work to do in
order to make the strawmen consistent with one-another before we
compile them into a single coherent document.  I propose we spend day
one walking through the documents one-by-one to critique the current
contents.  I know there are some people with concerns about the overall
direction of the group, but this first day is strictly concerned with
editing & form issues.  Function is part of day #2.  We will go over
the following strawmen in order
	Files
	Logical Files
	Namespaces
	Streams
	Attributes
	Tasks
The focus of Day 1 is to get the text part of the strawman proposal
complete.

Day 2 (Feb 1):  From 9am-10am, we will briefly review any changes that
were implemented from the day1 meeting.  This will be followed
immediately by a Blood-letting session.  There are some concerned
voiced about the overall direction the RG has taken in construction of
the strawman.  This is the part of the meeting where those concerns
should be discussed.  This includes specific problems that people can
identify with the strawman API's and more general issues with the
overall target of the APIs and whether they meet the goals set forth in
the group's charter.  The members of this group (particularly the
leaders) need to be prepared to stand up and answer hard questions
about the strawmen & the group's direction at the GGF13 meeting in
Seoul.  Therefore, it is best to get all of the hardest, most difficult
questions out in the open *before* getting on stage trying to
explain what is going on.

Day 3 (Feb 2): Just as the LSU workshop, the agenda for the last day
will become readily apparent during the course of the first two days.
Some likely candidates are
	* continuation of blood-letting
	* discussion of some of the issues that cut across multiple APIs.
These issues include Error Handling, Attributes & Namespaces,
callback/event handling, and security.  We tabled these issues in the
last meeting, but we are all well aware that these capabilities need to
be managed uniformly across the APIs.
	* Final strawman document assembly.