[saga-rg] Jobs and SandBoxing

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Fri Aug 19 16:53:38 CDT 2005

Hi Chris,

Quoting [Christopher Smith] (Aug 19 2005):

> On 19/8/05 10:15, "Andre Merzky" <andre at merzky.net> wrote:
>
> >> The idea is that two SAGA implementations (running
> >> concurrently) would have globally unique job id spaces.
> >
> > I can think of two ways to create such ideas.
> >
> >   A: create a unique string (MD5 or so) and make an external
> >      entity responsible for maintaining the mapping between
> >      that ID and the backend instance and native job id.
> >      One could also allow a non random string (e.g. a user
> >      specified name), but the naming collision problem is
> >      then moved into user space.
> >
> >   B: combine backen-url and native jobID in a well defined
> >      (i.e. parsable) way.  Possibly allow to add another
> >      part as user specific.
> >
> >      <free string>-<backend url>-<nativeID>
> >      <MyJob>-<gram://www.test.net:1234/>-<SAD12412SDF>
> >
> > B seems simplier, and does not introduce an external
> > dependency.  The free string would allo the user to
> > recognice the jobs - nice for browsing.  Could default to
> > the executable name or so.
>
> I like this mechanism as well, although I'm ok with just
> <backend url>-<nativeID> without the user specified identifier
> (there are > still job names after all).

Right, I agree.

> > I am pretty sure it braks for some cases. E.g. the backend
> > may have a moving URL, or may reuse ID's (as Unix does with
> > pid's).  However, as long as it is not mandatory, it might
> > just help...
>
> You're right, but it would be useful for many cases.

So I guess we should include it, because it is simple, does
not seem to break anything (its not mandatory, right?), and
seems to allow a number of useful use cases.  As its not
mandatory, we should add it to the notes section I guess.

Does anybody else on the list disagree?

Thanks, Andre.

> -- Chris

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |