[saga-rg] Jobs and SandBoxing

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Fri Aug 19 12:15:08 CDT 2005

Sorry, late reply...

Quoting [Christopher Smith] (Aug 12 2005):

>>> As for supporting sandboxes, what does that actually mean?
>>> In a chroot jail?  With a restricted user id (whatever
>>> that means)? Why should I care? What's the use case?
>>
>> I guess you are right: sandbox is by definition transparent
>> to the end user, isn't it?  So while it might be useful to
>> know where your job runs (see above), it may no make sense
>> to enforce sandboxing (either its used or it isn't - what
>> can SAGA do about this? nothing).
>
> Right. In a sandboxed environment, you basically need to a) stage files in
> and out in-line with the job using relative paths, or b) use some kind of
> "third party" storage service that you can then retrieve files from
> (basically you use fully qualified paths and service endpoints).
>
> I'm not sure there is much in between.

Right, I agree.  So we should leave it as is.

>>> There is a getJobId method on the Job interface for this
>>> purpose. It's up to the backend to provide the ID, so
>>> uniqueness is not something SAGA can guarantee.
>>
>> I semi-agree.  For finding your job again, you need more
>> then the backend job-id - you need also the contact point
>> for the backend.  Your SAGA implementation might know about
>> that, so it may be able to create a 'better' job id.
>>
>> In GAT, we did that, and had the distinction between a
>> Native-JobID (the backends), and GAT-JobID (globally
>> unique).  That might be overkill to mandate for SAGA at this
>> point, unless we have a clear use case wanting so I guess.
>>
>> So, bottom line, I guess you are right, backend-id should be
>> sufficient unless we run into problems with that.
>
> I think that the idea of a SAGA-JobID that is some kind of composite of the
> backend ID and some "SAGA decoration" is a good idea ... especially if a
> SAGA session is used to access multiple back ends. Generating global IDs
> within one implementation is easy enough, but do we want to take a stab at
> defining a format that all implementations should support? How hard do you
> think it would be?

I think its difficult enough to leave it out of the spec -
we kept away from backend dependend definition until now,
and I think thats good.

However, we could make a decent proposal, which should hold
for the most common use cases, and which we should try to
get included into the reference implementation.  That would
help a lot I think.

> The idea is that two SAGA implementations (running
> concurrently) would have globally unique job id spaces.

I can think of two ways to create such ideas.

  A: create a unique string (MD5 or so) and make an external
     entity responsible for maintaining the mapping between
     that ID and the backend instance and native job id.
     One could also allow a non random string (e.g. a user
     specified name), but the naming collision problem is
     then moved into user space.

  B: combine backen-url and native jobID in a well defined
     (i.e. parsable) way.  Possibly allow to add another
     part as user specific.

     <free string>-<backend url>-<nativeID>
     <MyJob>-<gram://www.test.net:1234/>-<SAD12412SDF>

B seems simplier, and does not introduce an external
dependency.  The free string would allo the user to
recognice the jobs - nice for browsing.  Could default to
the executable name or so.

I am pretty sure it braks for some cases. E.g. the backend
may have a moving URL, or may reuse ID's (as Unix does with
pid's).  However, as long as it is not mandatory, it might
just help...

my $0,02

  Andre.

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |