[saga-rg] Short Strawman versions

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Aug 4 01:57:16 CDT 2005

Well, the question is what do you want to do, really.  Just
submit a job, just copy a file, just replicate one, just
open a stream...  In itself the use cases are simple, if you
take them all together its getting a large API.

Session handle and security are designed to have sensible
default values - so you don't need to touch them.  We should
make that very clear.  E.g., if there is a X509 proxy for
your user id lying around, the default session handle (which
you won't even see) should have a X509 context attached
automatically.

Now, the qeustion really is: is it still too complex, or are
we cleverly hiding the simplicity? :-D

I assume that I am somewhat blinkered due to my daily dose
of SAGA - I think its blindingly simple, and we just need
good examples (e.g. map API to our use cases) to make that
obvious.  I might be wrong though...?

Andre.

Quoting [Steven Newhouse] (Aug 03 2005):
> Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:40:35 +0100
> From: Steven Newhouse <sjn5 at doc.ic.ac.uk>
> To: Andre Merzky <andre at merzky.net>
> CC: Simple API for Grid Applications WG <saga-rg at ggf.org>
> Subject: Re: [saga-rg] Short Strawman versions
>
> >Is it merily confusing (== not simple) because its so much,
>
> The basic entry point involves too many 'simple' interfaces. If I just
> want to submit a job, what do I want to deal with? The session (probably
> not) & security (probably yes) APIs?
>
> Steven
| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 598 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 598 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |