[saga-rg] Design Team meeting plans..

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Nov 18 02:54:23 CST 2004

Quoting [Craig Lee] (Nov 18 2004):

> All,
>
> A draft agenda will be essential.  We can bash it when we get
> started.

I can think of some items I would like to see on the agenda:

1) rehash and agree on target community
   - application programers, not Grid folx...

2) rehash and agree on basic design principles
   - 80:20 rule
   - simplicity
   - known paradigms where possible/sensible
   --> which rules should govern the design?

3) shortly (!) discuss languages
   - c, c++, perl, python, java, fortran, ...
   --> one spec for all -> spec object oriented or not
   --> which should be addressed?  Explicitely?
   --> lessons learned in similar specs (GAT, DRMAA)

4) summarize basic requirements and paradigms
   - error tracking
   - auditing
   - tasks
   - workflow
   - bulk operations
   - QoS
   --> what should be addressed/kept in mind/ignored?

5) summarize current list of areas of interest
   - scope of previous work (CoG, GAT, Triana, RG, EGEE)
   - scope of use cases
   - derive list of potential 'subsystems'
     files, logical files, resources,

6) pick one subsystem - preferably a simple one, of common
   interest

7) propose API, and iterate ;-)

8) if time, work on next subsystem

ome of these question could/should be addressed on the mailing
list before I guess, to minimize startup time at the meeting.

Just my 2 cents,

  Andre.

PS.: the proposed answers I gave to the points 1-4 above are just
     illustrations, and not proposals... ;-)  Well, kind of :-P