[saga-rg] Proposal for moving forward

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Dec 15 17:17:50 CST 2004

Hi Gregor,

Quoting [Gregor von Laszewski] (Dec 15 2004):

> Sorry that I was not able to join:
>
> based on the postings I suggest to draft a couple of documents. Each
> document will have a focus theme. I think this is already apparent from the
> activities.
>
> the themes are
>
> a) SAGA Task management
> a) SAGA Job management
> b) SAGA File Transfer
> c) SAGA File Access (e.g. ls, chmod, ...)
> d) SAGA Streams

That are exactly the parts we are focusing on, with the (simple)
addition of logical files (aka replica systems).

The drafts for these docs are in CVS, together with some loose
meeting material, in SAGA-RG/Draft .  Feedback is very welcome,
but editing should be coordinated at this stage - too many
hourely or more frequent changes currently...

> We than can round robin these documents
>
> If we develop a template before we start with all the GGF formating and
> property rights we could save ourself some significant amount of work. As I
> assume no one wants to do LaTeX (an include statement and the format would
> be easy here). should we use M$Word or open office for this?

No no no... :-)  LaTeX would be perfect for most of us I guess,
but, however, the group decided a while ago to go for plain text,
and we really should stick to this.  Also, an ascii format is
most useful together with CVS...

> We can than later on decide if we merge these documents in one larger
> document or if we want to create multiple small once.
>
> I thought about the task model and I am rely convinced that I actually like
> to push this as it gives us a lot of the abstractions we need now and in
> future.

If you would care to give feedback for spec_task.txt in the
mentioned CVS directory, that would be very useful.   There are 6
different API approaches to tasks listed (A to F), and we need to
pick one.  To keep it exciting, we don't tell you our preference
;-)

> However others may think this is already to complex. So I am curious about
> your opinions.

In fact, the approach you describe is exactly what we are doing
right now! :-)  So, I for one agree, absolutely :-)

Cheers, Andre.

> gregor

| Andre Merzky                      | phon: +31 - 20 - 444 - 7759 |
| Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) | fax : +31 - 20 - 444 - 7653 |
| Dept. of Computer Science         | mail: merzky at cs.vu.nl       |
| De Boelelaan 1083a                | www:  http://www.merzky.net |
| 1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands    |                             |