[saga-core-wg] Grid RPC data management & SAGA

Gaël Le Mahec gael.le.mahec at ens-lyon.fr
Wed Sep 2 10:25:25 CDT 2009

Hello,

	As we propose at the OGF'25 (Catania), we worked on the Grid RPC data
management API integration into the SAGA API (see joined documents).
We tried to adopt the SAGA Look-&-Feel and we propose two different
ways for the integration :

- Extending the original saga::rpc::parameter class and adding the
missing classes/enumerations for a proper integration.
- Adding a saga::rpc::rpc_data class to the API. This class extends
the main saga::rpc::rpc overloading the call method.

These two different approaches have advantages and disadvantages.
Using a unique saga::rpc::rpc class implies to modify the original
class to respect the SAGA Look-&-Feel. For example, the attributes of
the orginal saga::rpc::parameter class do not make sense for the sub-
class saga::rpc::parameter_data. Moreover, the original
saga::rpc::parameter inherits from the saga::buffer class, that should
not be used for the parameter_data class (change in the semantic).

The second approach is more easily implementable but the API then
contains two different methods to call a service.

Maybe there is a better way to extend the current SAGA RPC avoiding to
change the parameter class and the two different methods. Please feel
free to send any comments about these propositions.

Best regards,

G. Le Mahec for the GRAAL team.