[RUS-WG] RUS IDL Comments

Xiaoyu Chen Xiaoyu.Chen at brunel.ac.uk
Thu Sep 20 17:57:52 CDT 2007

Dear RUS chairs and members:

        Here are my comments on RUS IDL spec (https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/artf6015?nav=1)  submitted by Glibert recently:

        1). The service interface description should be clarified in a consistent way as defined in IDL spec especially in following particular points:

         RUS:extractUsageRecords need to re-defined as IDL spec. How about RUS:extractUsageRecordIds? This is an important operation as I can see. An example usage scenario would be query specific usage record using urf:UsageRecord/urf:RecordIdentity/@recordId as a context node within xpath statement. The client won't know the recordId value before querying. An auxiliary operation, RUS:extractUsageRecordIds would be helpful. For users unfamilar with xpath statement, would it be better to have RUS:extractSpecificUsageRecords with a set of recordId values as parameters?

        2). Most of modification operations (updates and deletions) defined within RUS v1.7 specs are reduntant. I totally agree to remove most of them, except RUS:replaceUsageRecords. It is difficult to replace existing usage records using a single RUS:modifyUsageRecords operation.

       kind regards!

School of Engineering and Design
Mobile: Mobile: ++44(0)7871876894
X. Chen