[RUS-WG] Artifact changed: RUS Core IDL Recommendation First Draft

Gilbert Netzer noname at pdc.kth.se
Tue Oct 16 10:45:27 CDT 2007

Hi Morris,

I would strongly argue for not having the document in a non-text format
(something that cant be edited with a standard text editor such as
emacs) such as Word. Now the XML works really nice in any version
control system, currently I have it in svn and it is read and editable
by everybody. The track changes functions causes us big headaches, I
just remember all the trouble and headaches we had in OMII with the
deliverable writing. There is by the way a lot of tools to do a diff on
a html and/or xml document which is a lot better for change tracking as
it goes to the actual changes and not only the ones you remembered to
switch the function on.

The other thing that word documents provoke is that they almost always
get you into a lot of trouble with formatting and stuff. If you really
want a print-quality format, I would suggest latex, which is proven and
reliable and it can also take advantage of diff!

Btw. The tracker comments are not automatically sent to the eMail list,
so I cc this to the rus-wg list if that is ok for you?

Best Regards
Gilbert