[RUS-WG] my comments to the proposals in "draft-19"

Gilbert Netzer noname at pdc.kth.se
Fri Mar 30 08:44:10 CDT 2007

Hi Rosario, hi everybody,

thanks for providing these constructive comments!

As you suggested, since the mail is quite long, I cut out parts in this
reply, and am trying to provide a hint on one specific question only. The
original mail can be found in the archives to the rus-wg mailing list!

Some comments are inline below:

Rosario Michael Piro wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> [attention: this is a monster email, but I hope it will help in getting
> started a fruitful discussion :o)
> By the way, the length of this mail is one of the reasons why we should
> try to have _single_ or at least _limited_ proposals, not the entire
> document at once]
[...] CUT HERE

> [quote]
>      Xiaoyu asked also about the use of XUpdate in the
> RUS::modifyUsageRecords
>      method.
>      Gilbert suggested changing the XUpdate to XQuery update extensions
> since
>      the XUpdate specification seems to not be maintained any more and never
>      advanced beyond draft stage.
> [/quote]
>
> How do update extensions of XQuery work (sounds interesting)? Does
> anybody have a nice document in which I can read more about this?

I have found the draft specification on the www.w3.org website, they call
it "XQuery Update Facility". From a quick glance it provides a lot of
functionality and seems to be somewhat recent (July 2006). Also the open
source XML database claims to be able to handle those kinds of expressions,
  so there should be some implementations around.

This is the working draft:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xqupdate/

They also have published a use cases document:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xqupdateusecases/

[...] CUT