[RUS-WG] Updates to the WG Charter

Rosario Michael Piro piro at to.infn.it
Mon Mar 26 07:04:32 CDT 2007

Hi all!

Here are a few comments to the charter! Some of the comments might also
be interesting to those that are not really interested in the charter
itself. In the context of what is described in the charter I have a few
suggestions that might be interesting for the RUS specification itself
(and I would like to see many comments/opinions! :o)

First of all: good work!

* Section 2.1, second paragraph: This suggests that we should work on a
RUS that can handle more than OGF-UR documents, which actually is a very
good idea (the OGF-UR as it is now, for example isn't able to handle
storage accounting, etc. And other formats might be interesting as
well). In theory it might be possible to define RUS that can work with a
generic XML document for resource usage. This would imply to things: the
method that informs about mandatory record elements would need to be
more generic (support arbitrary elements/properties), and an additional
method that informs about which record format(s) is(are) handled by a
specific implementation (e.g. OGF-UR and a costum XML format). Maybe
that wouldn't even be difficult to achieve (since for queries
XPath/XUpdate can work on arbitrary XML documents). But: it might mean
that single implementations may not be interoperable due to the
requirement of different XML documents. We should think about that, the
idea is interesting. But for now, I would give more emphasis on OGF-UR
and state in the charter that being compatible with that format has the
priority.

* Section 2.1, third paragraph: I wouldn't use accounting systems as an
example for service consumers. But they are a good example for service
providers I'd say (an accounting system will more likely provide a RUS
interface than use the RUS interface of another service). But I'm just
being pedandic, of course it doesn't change much ... :o)

* Section 2.2, first paragraph: "the RUS specification does axplicitly
not concern itself with any form of content for the used usage record
formats". That only partly true, since the RUS specification is
concerned with mandatory elements, and currently only specific OGF-UR
elements/properties can be declared mandatory. But if think about
handling things in a more generic way (as suggested above), we of course
need to ensure that the RUS specification doesn't restrict the
use/content of the different possible record formats.

* Section 2.3 (Goals): the distinction of core and advanced
functionalities is a good idea. We might think about defining a method
(in the RUC core specification) that can be used to retrieve a
list/description of functionalities (core + advanced) that are actually
provided by an implementation.

* Section 2.3.2 (advanced specification): "Features of interest include
server-side aggregation, data replication, fine-grained security
aspects, and VO-level access to usage records.". Most of these things
are not an issue of the interface to the service, but of the
implementation of the service. For example: the current specification
does already allow for security as fine-grained as you want. Whenever
the service implementation thinks that access should not be granted, it
can respond with a RUSUserNotAuthorisedFault ... that's perfectly
conform with the interface specification, it depends only on how the
implementation grants access to an authenticated user. But I think this
is in the implementation domain and the interface specification
shouldn't really be concerned with it, because there might easily be as
many security models as there are implementations. We just need to make
sure that all these security models can be supported by the interface,
but that is already be done by the RUSUserNotAuthorisedFault, each
implementation can grant access whenever it wants to. The same is true
to VO-level access. Whether the RUS implementation maintains a mapping
of which user has such access or whether it determines the role of a
user by means of a VOMS certificate or whatever, shouldn't be important
for the interface to the service.
We should decide how far we want to go. Do we want to define only the
interface to a service (as we explicilty say in the first phrase of
Section 2.2 (scope)) or do we want to define (at least partly) how the
service has to work (I'd say no)?
A similar consideration can be made when thinking about data
replication. How and when data is replicated depends only on the
implementation, not the interface of the service!

Section 2.8, last bullet of the first list: EGEE is project, not really
a grid (it doesn't provide an infrastructure, it just develops
middleware for other production grid projects).

Section 3 (appendix), 4.: I don't know if I would see a real overlap
between DAIS-WG and RUS-WG. I'd say it's too minimal to be noteworthy.
But we can also leave that point as it is in the charter, because we
explicitly say that the purpose of both WGs are very different.

Section 3 (appendix), 6.: DGAS does not yet provide a (complete)
implementation of the RUS interface, maybe it would be more correct to
say that it is being developed.

Section 4: Can you please remove the trailing "main.html" from the
reference to the DGAS website [7]. main.html is only the content of the
main frame. Thanks!

For the rest: perfect! Thank for the good job!

Rosario.