[rus-wg] RUS specification (draft 6)

Steven Newhouse sjn5 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Sat May 7 10:21:08 CDT 2005

> Page 6 - The text should read "for which they are permitted to
> contribute and view records".

Some restrictions are needed here. The viewing of records has to be
restricted with a mapping of resource manager ID to machine names, and
hence to a records. The same model does not need to be applied to
contributions, i.e. contributions could be restricted to just a specific
set of DNs (with no further restrictions on machine names). This
simplifies the security model for contributions.

> Page 8  - What to do with RecordHistory. I agree that we do not need to
> return RecordHistory with the RUSUsageRecord. If we do separate it out,
> then I think we will need to be a new operation to retrieve it.

I'd support this. I'd also go further (as John hints) in removing the
Job of JobUsageRecord. The UsageRecord is fairly extensible and may be
include all sorts of non-Job related activity. That would leave...

RUSUsageRecord
  + RUSId
  + RecordHistory
  + UsageRecords

This would generalise the use of RUS to that bejond Job related activity.

> Page 13 - Partial failure.

> We will have to return null
> some how for those which have failed, and specify that the order of the
> records in the response MUST correspond to the IDs in the request.

With empty elements corresponding to the failed records?

> Page 17- Partial Failure. The operation result alone is not enough to
> determine which record was not delete, since it gives an aggregate view
> of the status. It would of course be possible for clients to derive this
> from the list of RUSId/status codes. So if anything needs to be removed
> it is the OperationResult.

Use the failure codes in 5.1.2 ? Mandate RUSID as being +ve non-zero and
ditch the OperationResult?

Any objections to these changes/clarifications? I'll take these forward
unless there are other offers for doing so?

Steven
Dr Steven Newhouse                        Tel:+44 (0)2380 598789
Deputy Director, Open Middleware Infrastructure Institute (OMII)
Suite 6005, Faraday Building (B21), Highfield Campus,
Southampton University, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ,  UK