[rus-wg] RUS Specification - users

Jon MacLaren maclaren at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Apr 6 10:04:49 CDT 2005

On Apr 6, 2005, at 8:42 AM, Steven Newhouse wrote:

>>  In the document you identify only two classes of user as having
>> access to
>> data stored within the RUS - I guess that you mean the ability to
>> view and
>> modify URs. Should you also note that there are classes of user that
>> have
>> only read access - the grid user running jobs should be able to view
>> her
>> URs, PIs can view the URs of a project, VO manager can view the URs
>> of jobs
>> from her VO etc (all requiring access policies etc)
>
> The OGSI version of the RUS specification had slightly richer user
> model... but I feel the current model reflects better the operational
> reality. How many of these users/PIs will want to be generating
> XPath/XQuery statements to extract data from a web service? Probably
> very few.

I believe that the motivation for changing the model was to prevent
many users (e.g. hundreds in the case of Manchester's CSAR-wide RUS)
slowing the RUS down with arbitrary queries.  At Manchester, a portal
was provided - but of course, this is outside the scope of the spec.
Doing things this was gives a mechanism to limit the sorts of queries
users could do.  It also effectively serialises the queries, preventing
them from swamping the RUS.

Jon.