[rm-wg] [occi-wg] OCCI MC - State Machine Diagram

David Snelling David.Snelling at UK.Fujitsu.com
Sat Apr 18 14:40:54 CDT 2009

Folks,

I write this note as a fellow OGF working group chair. In the
Reference Model working group we have been working toward a Reference
Model, which includes a life cycle state model.  Please have a look at
the sections in our draft document that pertain to life cycle and see
if you can map your states sensibly onto/into these.

The idea is that your states, which map directly, are aliases for
those in the Reference Model. Any of yours that don't map directly,
should be sub-states of one from the reference model.

If this is not possible, please let us know. Ours is a work in
progress, so it is possible that there are faults in our model.

Please come talk to us at OGF26.

See: http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc14766?nav=1

On 18 Apr 2009, at 12:40, Sam Johnston wrote:

> Afternoon all,
>
> I have created a diagram (attached) of what I think the absolute
> minimum core states need to be... essentially boiling them down to
> "STOPPED" and "ACTIVE" with "START" and "STOP" being the only
> requisite actuators. Transitional "STOPPING" and "STARTING" states
> are optional.
>
> I believe states should be completely unambiguous so I don't
> particularly like the DMTF model ("stopped" and "active" machines
> are also "defined" but this is a separate state) and that also rules
> out vague terminology like "inactive" (which could mean both
> "stopped" and "suspended").
>
> I've got an optional RESTART actuator which takes you from "ACTIVE"
> to "STARTING" as well as an optional "SUSPEND" and "RESUME" cycle
> which takes you via the transitional "SUSPENDING" and "RESUMING"
> states between "ACTIVE" and "SUSPENDED".
>
> DMTF have another "paused' state but I wonder whether this needs to
> be a state in its own right or if it's an attribute of "suspended".
> That's a rhetorical question - we could spend all week discussing
> nuances but for now I want to make sure we agree on the absolutely
> minimalist core functionality. Other states can be added via a live
> registry which we can pre-populate with a view to guiding innovation
> without stifling it.
>
> This has been uploaded to the wiki: http://forge.ogf.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.occi-wg/wiki/StateModel
>
> Sam
>
> <OCCI MC State Machine.png><OCCI MC State
> Machine.svg>_______________________________________________
> occi-wg mailing list
> occi-wg at ogf.org

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE
     Reg. No. 4153469

     +44-7590-293439 (Mobile)

 Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
 Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE
 Registered No. 4153469

 This e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of addressee(s) and
 may contain information which is privileged and confidential. Unauthorised
 use or copying for disclosure is strictly prohibited. The fact that this
 e-mail has been scanned by Trendmicro Interscan and McAfee Groupshield does
 not guarantee that it has not been intercepted or amended nor that it is
 virus-free.