[rm-wg] Some Questions :o)

Strong, Paul pstrong at ebay.com
Thu Jul 19 18:22:07 CDT 2007

Guys,

I have been going through the GLUE 2 doc and have a number of questions.

1.	Site - Firstly I would strongly suggest renaming to AdminDomain.
More specifically, clearly an admin domain can span multiple physical
locations (which is why site could be a confusing name), the question I
have is does an admin domain have a 1 to 1 mapping with a real
organization, or can an organization have multiple admin domains (my
guess would be yes) and can multiple organizations present a single
admin domain (think a consortium, or perhaps that consortium is it's own
organization).
2.	I am still very unclear as to the value of Element (Figure 3).
It is an aggregation, but what problem does it solve - management?  Am I
right in assuming that this is actually the "container" for a job?  If
so is it genuinely managed such that you do not need to manage the other
elements?  The composed of relationship implies exclusive membership and
it would seem to me that most of the components that comprise the
element can and will be managed out of the context of the
ComputeElement.  Actually, more correctly - do compute resources and
services share the same life - are they created and destroyed when the
element is?
3.	Figure 4 - it seems ot me that the ComputingService abstracts
Computing Resources.  Shares seem to define a virtual computing
resource, i.e. some part of a resources.  Althought the rest of the text
iindicates that it is a utilization target.  If so, t would seem that it
is a policy.  It seems to me that both concepts are useful.

I have to admit that 2 things would really help me understand this
better.  The first would be a sequence diagram that shows the various
interactions.  The second is a text use case.

Let me give you my (probably distorted :o) view of what I think you are
trying to build.

i)    You want to provide services that are admin domain specific and
that can be shared.
ii)    You want these services to execute jobs submitted from anywhere
within an authorized virtual organization to be run on the resources
within the admin domain, that have been assigned to that service.
iii)    Each job is executed within a container, that the service
creates specifically for that job when the job is submitted.
iv)    The container includes all of the resources (compute, data,
application etc.) required by the job to execute.  (Is Share the scalar
value of one of the "sides" of the container?)
v)    There are consumer and supplier side service level policies
associated with the job and its container.  One would be a policy
defining the target utilization of a resource, thus you would want to
run one or more jobs (and thus containers) either sequentially or in
parallel in order to meet the target utilization.  Another could be a
consumer side request for "sizing" the container, ie saying I need X
cpus for the life of the job, or I need Y cpu-minutes for the job

Anyway I think it is the nature of v) that is confusing.

All enlightenment appreciated ;o)

Cheers
Paul