[Pgi-wg] OGF OGSA-BES - Requirements for an improved Basic Execution Service

Etienne URBAH urbah at lal.in2p3.fr
Tue Sep 20 04:46:12 CDT 2011

Mariusz,

Concerning the document named 'Requirements for an improved Basic
Execution Service (BES)' and available at
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc16306 :

Thank you very much for your comments.

Dependency of BES on other grid services
I do NOT define a service as a separate 'running process', but as a
separate software component, with well defined scope and interfaces.

I do NOT stress dependency of BES on other grid services for
'performance reasons' :  On execution, it is always faster to have 1
monolithic piece of code.

I stress this dependency because :
-  In many grid infrastructures, these other grid services already exist.
-  Modularity and definition of backend interfaces eases software
maintenance and interoperation with other grid infrastructure using
these backend interfaces (for example UR for accounting records).

Implementation of AUTHN and AUTHZ as dynamically loadable modules is
absolutely OK.

Monitoring
----------
Often, monitoring is implemented using simultaneously 2 completely
different methods :

-  Sensors / Probes installed inside the Service and PUSHING detailed
information to a 'Grid Monitoring Framework', for example Ganglia or Nagios.
     The Service is often considered 'killed' as soon as the 'Grid
Monitoring Framework' has NOT received any information from Sensors /
Probes after 2 or 3 sampling periods.

-  Periodic tests sent by a dedicated 'Test Client' to the Service
through its Client interface in order to PULL information about the
overall availability of the Service for Clients.  For BES, these tests
would be 'test jobs'.
     The Service is often considered 'killed' as soon as the 'Test
Client' can NOT even establish a successful TCP connection to the Service.

I highly recommend the simultaneous usage of BOTH methods.

Delegation of user authorizations
As you have written, delegated user credentials are mostly NOT
understood and used by the Batch System itself.

But they are often required by the 'Job wrapper' or the Payload itself
to access remote files referenced by the Job.

Best regards.

Etienne URBAH         LAL, Univ Paris-Sud, IN2P3/CNRS
                        Bat 200   91898 ORSAY    France
Tel: +33 1 64 46 84 87      Skype: etienne.urbah
Mob: +33 6 22 30 53 27      mailto:urbah at lal.in2p3.fr