[Pgi-wg] OGF PGI : Proposal to create an OGF recommendation for Application Repositories

Daniel S. Katz d.katz at ieee.org
Tue Jul 5 14:24:13 CDT 2011

Hi Etienne,

This is an interesting idea.  A few quick thoughts follow:

You may also want to consider image (VM) repositories.  As an example from FutureGrid, see: http://grids.ucs.indiana.edu/ptliupages/publications/vonLaszewski-draft-11-imagerepo.pdf  I would ideally like this effort to consider if application repositories and image repositories might be subclasses of a more general repository.

Another thought is that applications here are implicitly code that is downloaded, rather than services.  If services were also included, including SaaS components, what would change?

Overall, these two points are an effort to make OGF consider grids and clouds together, rather than separately.

Finally, the use cases in the document are very general.  I personally would like to see some reasons why this should be an OGF standard, rather than it just being some software that is developed and then used by a few groups.  Who are the users of this potential standard?

Thanks,
Dan

On Jul 5, 2011, at 1:58 PM, Etienne URBAH wrote:

> Morris, Johannes and all,
>
> At the OGF32 PGI session, I propose to discuss Application Repositories :
>
> The EDGI project, in which I am working, really needs a robust Application Repository.
> So, it has created one implementation, with an 'EDGI Repository Administrator Manual'.
>
> This excellent documentation, which I have just saved at http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc16278 presents :
> -  Use cases,
> -  Requirements,
> -  Functional specifications,
> -  Implementation details.
>
> I am certain that the presented Use cases are also valuable for Production Service Grids, such as EGI, OSG, XCG (UVA), Naregi-Renkei, ...
>
> So, I propose to extract the Use cases, Requirements and Functional specifications in order to create an OGF recommendation for Application Repositories.
>
> Thank you in advance for reading this 'EDGI Repository Administrator Manual', and for providing feedback.
>
> Best regards.

> Etienne URBAH         LAL, Univ Paris-Sud, IN2P3/CNRS
>                     Bat 200   91898 ORSAY    France
> Tel: +33 1 64 46 84 87      Skype: etienne.urbah
> Mob: +33 6 22 30 53 27      mailto:urbah at lal.in2p3.fr
>

> On Wed, 29/06/2011 16:14, Morris Riedel wrote:
>> All,
>>
>>  we have requested an OGF32 session to discuss our progress on ongoing activities such as our contributions to JSDL, BES, etc.
>>
>> Once the session is accepted, we can have more detailed session plans.
>>
>> It would be nice if those of you who will attend OGF32 can shortly inform me.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Your co-chair,
>> Morris
>> Morris Riedel