[Pgi-wg] OGF PGI - Review of notes of OGF30 sessions on 26 October 2010 - Counting votes for requirements

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Sun Nov 7 12:01:22 CST 2010

Hi all,

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Oxana Smirnova <oxana.smirnova at hep.lu.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to point out that my "interesting thoughts" are directly based on
> the PGI group description here:
>
>  http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/projects/pgi-wg
>
> This was the mandate of the group when it was approved by the OGF, and it
> explicitly contains the list of relevant standards and specifications, which
> we just re-discovered. It even contains SRM and GridFTP, well in line with
> the stated group's committment to deal with data management - something that
> was contested by the management in Brussels.
>
> Perhaps the group description needs to be updated, if management believes it
> contains controversial statements.  What is the procedure for this?

purely from the OGF procedure perspective, the process would be to

  - draft an agenda update,
  - get rough consensus on that update via the mailing list (one week
final call)
  - either submit that update to your area director,
  - or  submit it online to OGF's living charter (which will trigger
the AD as well).

The update will then be reviewed by the GFSG, and usually accepted if
it is within OGF's mission statement.

For PGI, my very humble opinion is that a charter update is not needed
as long as the group is undecided on the explicit way forward -- and
that decision is long overdue.

If a group is deadlocked like PGI (or rather if it is running circles
as PGI seems to do), it is the duty of the chairs to push the group
along.  In the worst case, if full consensus cannot be reached, a vote
on the available options can lead to rough consensus, which ought to
be enough to get things going again.  "Rough consensus - running code"
is the motto for OGF (borrowed from IETF,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_consensus).

Hope that helps,

  Andre.

Nothing is ever easy...