[Pgi-wg] OGF PGI Requirements - Flexibility and clarity versus Rigidity and confusion

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at virginia.edu
Thu May 13 08:20:36 CDT 2010

Aleksandr,
Referring to your sentence/paragraph

"Such "simple" job is very far from being "typical". At least in NorduGrid
world AFAIK."

Could you elaborate. I see in my work basically two "types" of jobs that
dominate - sets of HTC "parameter space" jobs, and true parallel MPI jobs.
In both cases the "job" is basically a command line - either an mpiexec/run,
and application with parameters, or a script with parameters. The job has
known inputs and outputs, or a directory tree location where it needs to
run. The jobs runs to completion, or it fails, in either case there are
output files and result codes. Sometimes the job is a workflow, but when you
pick that apart it turns into jobs that have inputs and outputs along with a
workflow engine orchestrating it all.

What is a typical job that you see? When I say "typical" I mean covers 80%
of the jobs.