[Pgi-wg] A proposal

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at virginia.edu
Tue Mar 30 14:18:09 CDT 2010

All,

At the last OGF I was struck by the parallelism in the work of PGI and the
interoperability demonstrations running out of the GIN group (as one would
expect). As PGI is currently in requirements gathering, to be followed at
the end of April (I believe) by straw-man profiling to meet the
requirements, I thought it might be useful to look carefully at what has
been going on in the GIN interoperability demonstrations. The thing that
struck me is the progress that is being made there. That got me to thinking
about the European Globus initiative (IGI). It seems to me that it would be
an excellent idea for IGI to participate in the GIN interoperability work
using the Globus 4.2 variant that was developed for HPC-BP and OGSA-WSRF-BP
interoperation projects. While I do not believe that the code made it into
the production repository, surely the code is in the source code repository
and could be brought back into play. That way we can expand not only the
participation to more infrastructures, but also gain additional experience
one the use of existing specifications to meet the requirements being
generated in PGI.

Any thoughts?

Andrew