[Pgi-wg] Gridiron, or standardization gone backwards

Morris Riedel m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Tue Jul 20 09:10:54 CDT 2010

Dear Oxana,

  thanks for your summary.

(1)
In fact, I can deeply understand your sadness of what the path for PGI - initially was - and now finally became.

(2)
Nevertheless, PGI was created with participation of a small community (only EU) but since then it was a constant struggle in process because of numerous reasons that I don't want to list all.

Examples include that we at least doubled the initial three involved technologies to six and beyond that are currently involved in PGI thus extending to Asia and US. This leads to a huge increase in time required for the agreement processes and discussions, but also significantly increase the impact of PGI.

Another example, is the initial lack of funding leading to best-efforts-only and the proposal process in Europe, then US, that in turn was limiting our time to work with PGI with the necessary enthusiasm.

(3)
But instead of complaining - important is that we agreed at OGF to move back to the use cases process because of numerous reasons!

Like a graph algorithm in a complex graph, it might be sometimes necessary to perform one or more 'back steps' in order to achieve a solution and to find 'the path'.

(4)
More importantly, the first time the very major technology providers of our distributed computing community actually 'sit on the same table' together to produce something useful t o g e t h e r.

I therefore still believe that we can achieve something in PGI, although partly struggling, we managed to get the right players on board to hopefully have a much higher impact of PGI than initially aimed for.

(5)
So, let's don't give up so quickly.

We already have a much better mutual understanding in PGI as before - let's build on this and keep on working little by little achieving something.

Your co-chair,
Morris