[Pgi-wg] FutureGrid Unicore 6/Genesis II endpoints

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at virginia.edu
Sat Aug 28 10:10:26 CDT 2010

Colleagues,

FutureGrid has as two of its many goals the creation of a Grid middleware
testing and interoperability testbed as well as the maintenance of standards
compliant endpoints against which experiments can be executed. We at the
University of Virginia are tasked with bringing up three stacks as well as
maintaining standard-endpoints against which these experiments can be run.

We currently have UNICORE 6 and Genesis II endpoints functioning* on X-Ray
(a Cray). Over the next few weeks we expect to bring two additional
resources, India and Sierra (essentially Linux clusters), on-line in a
similar manner (Genesis II is already up on sierra). As called for in the
FutureGrid program execution plan, once those two stacks are operational we
will begin to work on g-lite (with help we may be able to accelerate that
J).  Other standards-compliant endpoints  are welcome in the future (no pun
intended), but not part of the current funding plan.

I'm writing the PGI and GIN working groups to see if there is interest in
using these resources (endpoints) as a part of either the GIN or PGI work,
in particular in demonstrations or projects for OGF in October or SC in
November. One of the key differences between these endpoints and others is
that they can be expected to persist. These resources will not go away when
a demo is done. They will be there as a testbed for future application and
middleware development (e.g., a metascheduler that works across g-lite and
Unicore 6).

I want to STRESS that these resources are just coming up and ARE NOT YET
robust-full time endpoints. I invite the community though to help us find
ways to test and use these endpoints.

Andrew

*Functioning here means that there are endpoints up that we have tested with
respect to executing BES activities defined by simple JSDL documents,
including file staging in the case of the Genesis II endpoints.  Access
control in the Genesis II case is via our normal mechanism.  Straight
HPC-Basic Profile access and access control via username/password can also
be configured as needed. Documentation on these resources, as well as a
process to use them more readily is not complete.