[Pgi-wg] OGF PGI - EDGI Use Cases

Etienne URBAH urbah at lal.in2p3.fr
Thu Aug 12 12:46:46 CDT 2010

Ilya,

Concerning OGF PGI Use Cases :

Thank you very much for your valuable comments on following EDGI Use Cases :

Enforce Security of a Production Service Grid
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc16010?nav=1

-  An 'Activity' is a 'Unit of work which is submitted to a Service via
an Endpoint' (GLUE 2.0)

-  You are right, what needs to be frozen is NOT the physical resources
processing work of the malicious User, but the ongoing activities
created locally for the malicious User.

Prepare Desktop Grid Version of Application
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc16028?nav=1

-  This Use Case is performed more easily if the Application already
runs on the Service Grid, but this is NOT an absolute prerequisite.

-  Service Grids trust Users and PUSH activities, while Desktop Grids
trust Applications and PULL activities.  So, there is NO
interoperability at all.  Interoperation can be achieved only by using a
Bridge specially designed for this purpose.
    This Bridge does NOT simply forward the activities from one Grid to
another Grid, but it is a statefull server performing syntactic
translations, activity buffering, activity concatenation or expansion,
activity wrapping, ..., which I summarize as 'marshaling'.
    Detailed description of this Bridge is outside the scope of the Use
Case :  Only the Bridge Manager needs to have a detailed knowledge of
it.  The other Actors only need to know that this Bridge exists, and
trust it.

Marshal Activities from Service Grid to Desktop Grid
http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc16022?nav=1

-  Same answers as for the previous Use Case.

I will add all above explanations and corrections, and take into account
most of your corrections about English.

I am going this night on vacation for 10 days, so updating the EDGI Use
Cases will take a little time.

Thank you again.

Best regards.

Etienne URBAH         LAL, Univ Paris-Sud, IN2P3/CNRS
                       Bat 200   91898 ORSAY    France
Tel: +33 1 64 46 84 87      Skype: etienne.urbah
Mob: +33 6 22 30 53 27      mailto:urbah at lal.in2p3.fr