[Pgi-wg] DEISA/PRACE and EGEE/EGI Interoperabiltiy Use case Uploaded

Morris Riedel m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Thu Aug 5 08:33:03 CDT 2010

Already read of course - in fact the sequence support, from my perspective, is different from workflows as follows:

The difference between Grid workflows and sequences also applies to compilation as well as to the described AMBER part. I had some
longer discussions with Andreas about it and the borderline between JSDL and not-JSDL in this context is tough somehow.

We basically agreed that workflows are not part of JSDL and shouldn't be - and thus the name sequence seems to be more appropriate,
because it's somewhat different and more constrained:

Of course it makes sense that compilation and execution are performed in one sandbox, otherwise the application might be compiled
and installed by one user and then re-used by multiple other users.

There is no exact boundary and you can realize it with both workflows and sequences, but when using the proposed sequences you can
often circumvent data-transfers into the job sandbox and necessary configuration activities specifying locations of the source-code
and such like.  In addition, the core usage is often "1" while the whole major job might require "64000" cores just to provide some
numbers.

Often the codes are specific for some types of architectures, which is in terms of many-core even more and more evolving. Hence,
both workflow/sequence steps are bound to one particular site - so why re-schedule a workflow step based on another JSDL?!

We experienced that more and more end-users require compilation prior to production runs, at least in our environments in HPC. I
understand this is different in HTC environments.

The same can be applied to this AMBER sequence executions, where are a few very short running jobs need to be run before/after the
main executable itself - just to set the data formats right (one example).

The view from my perspective of course.

...oups...time to begin.

Some thoughts,
Morris