[Pgi-wg] PGI Job State Model for discussions (UML: zargo + xmi + png)

Etienne URBAH urbah at lal.in2p3.fr
Wed May 27 20:08:57 CDT 2009

Aleksandr,

Thank you very much for studying and criticizing my OGF PGI Job State
Model (based on yours) :

I agree that a job 'failed because of failure detected during job
processing/execution may lead to restartable job if reason of failure
may be eleminated by user action.'

In that case, the job needs User action, so its state should be one of
the following :
-  Pre-processing-Hold
-  Delegated-Hold
-  Post-processing-Hold

Besides, I suggest that when a User cancels a job which is NOT Hold, the
Execution Service simply handles that as a job failure.  That permits to
avoid 4 supplemental transitions toward Failed-Cancelled.

Please continue to criticize ...

Best regards.

Etienne URBAH         LAL, Univ Paris-Sud, IN2P3/CNRS
                       Bat 200   91898 ORSAY    France
Tel: +33 1 64 46 84 87      Skype: etienne.urbah
Mob: +33 6 22 30 53 27      mailto:urbah at lal.in2p3.fr

On Thu, 28 May 2009, Aleksandr Konstantinov wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 May 2009 22:04, Etienne URBAH wrote:
>> Morris, Aleksandr and All,
>>
>> Concerning the OGF PGI Job State Model (based on Aleksandr's) :
>>
>> I agree that :
    -  Pre-processing includes Automatic Stage-In.

    -  Delegated includes Running.

    -  Post-processing includes Automatic Stage-Out.

>> I suggest that :
>>
>> - Pending should be renamed as Submitted
>>
>> - Deep internal states do NOT need to be exposed, but states requiring
>> User action do.

    -  Pre-processing-Hold  includes Failed-Recoverable and Manual Stage-In.

    -  Delegated-Hold       includes Failed-Recoverable.

    -  Post-processing-Hold includes Failed-Recoverable and Manual
Stage-Out.

>> - Cancellation by the User and Failure detected by the Execution Service
>> lead to the same result, so the same state.
>>

> From my point of view job canceled by user is canceled for good. But one
> failed because of failure detected during job processing/execution may
> lead to restartable job if reason of failure may be eliminated by user action.
>

> A.K.
>

>> Therefore, using the free ArgoUML tool, I have created my own proposal,
>> which is available at http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc15655?nav=1
>> with the ZARGO, XMI and PNG formats.
>>
>> Please criticize and improve it !

    The ArgoUML tool is open source and available for Windows, Mac OS X
and Linux at http://argouml.tigris.org/