[Pgi-wg] Profiling vs new specs

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw at virginia.edu
Mon May 18 14:28:14 CDT 2009

Oxana,
The size of the documents is not indicative of the content. A good deal of
the document is an attempt to succinctly extract the requirements from the
GES document and give some background on the existing specs and profile. The
only really substantive change to an existing specification is to BES -
adding a new state, profiling sub-states (that have been discussed and
documented before), and then describing how the existing specs (with the
mentioned delta's) could be used to address the requirements.

As an aside to the whole group.

This next bit is rather embarrassing. I have not read the specification as
published for some time (GFD.108).

It turns out that my memory is not as good as I thought.

First, the state model already includes Pending, and example profiles (but
not formal profiles) for file staging, and suspend resume, are already in
the document. Note that the createActivity takes an ActivityDocument which
contains the JSDL, and has an extensibility point (element) that we could
profile to include something like HOLD_PENDING (note that this is also where
the document recommends subscriptions go as well.)

Second, most operations ARE vector operations except for createActivity -
which of course would need to become a vector operation as discussed. Third,
notification subscription is already in the document - though it is a bit
strangely put.

Finally, it is not necessary to use RNS to get a list of activities, you can
do that already using getFactoryAttributesDocument. We (the Genesis II team)
recommend eliminating the ActivityReference element from the attribute
document (it is a list of activity EPRs), and replacing that with RNS. We
have found that for containers with a large number of contained activities,
e.g., containers back-ended by PBS queues, that the size of the activities
document grows out of control and rapidly leads to timeouts in the SOAP
operation.

Thus, the modifications are even less than I thought.