[Pgi-wg] Profiling vs new specs

Oxana Smirnova oxana.smirnova at hep.lu.se
Sun May 17 19:39:03 CDT 2009

Hi all,

and sorry for missing recent calls - was busy with other meetings.

You probably converged to some consensus regarding profiling and new specifications during one of the calls I missed - if you did, could you please outline the result?

If not, I'd like to compare pros and contras of each approach.

Andrew's "minimal changes" document advocating profiling seems to be larger than the GES strawman itself; this makes me wondering what is the definition of a "minimal change", and where is the margin when it is more efficient to introduce a new standard?

My major concern about profiling is that different profiles of the same standard may easily turn out to be incompatible, even if each was perceived as a "minimal change" by the authors. Then the very idea of standard compliance gets void.

I would prefer to avoid ambiguity as much as possible. There may be little semantic difference between different profiles of the same standard and different standards, but it can cause large practical implementation and operational implications.

Cheers,
Oxana