[Pgi-wg] Promised document

Aleksandr Konstantinov aleksandr.konstantinov at fys.uio.no
Sat May 16 15:40:30 CDT 2009

On Friday 15 May 2009 16:54, Andrew Grimshaw wrote:
> Aleksandr,
> RNS is not a requirement. It shows up in my "GES Realization via Existing
> Specifications" as a means to meet the requirements. I personally think it
> is a good idea and allows us to work with an existing code base and access
> layer. Listing a directory of things is pretty common.

Looks like a good idea for me (personally). I think You should make one more logical step
and suggest to drop BES. No kidding. As You explained usage of RNS diring last telecon
it can do anything BES does. One simply has to provide some data transmission
capability to trasfer bigger chunks of data to/from nodes (not sure about term) presented
by RNS. And that could be same ByteIO proposed by You or even simpler - HTTP(S) which
is already used as underlying protocol of SOAP anyway.

Actally we are using similar approach in ARC (production version) except that it uses
GridFTP (and hence TVFS) instead of RNS.

Concerning "work with an existing code" I'm not sure. I doubt many of participating
projects have an implementation of RNS. And those developed probably won't be very
reusable in different environment. Do You have an implementation for libxml2?
On another hand AFAIR RNS is not a complex interface and wouldn't take much effort to
implement.

A.K.