[Pgi-wg] OGF PGI - Security Model

Duane Merrill dgm4d at virginia.edu
Thu Mar 26 09:09:09 CDT 2009

So, what you're saying is that it is, for all intents and purposes,
infeasible for the CREAM BES to support an attribute authorization scheme
other than VOMS-style-ACs-inside-EECs/PCs.  This leads me to draw the
following conclusion:

*Don't bother advertising CREAM BESs as inter-middleware services*.
Unicore/GenesisII/etc. infrastructures don't have the means for clients
to obtain PCs or EECs that have VOMS-style ACs signed within them, so in all
reality your CREAM BESs will never be used by those middlewares anyway.  If
you need to share your resource across middleware domains, stand up a BES
that can support *both* types of credentialing mechanisms instead.

The issue holding the client back is that they have a signed SAML assertion
that cannot be traded for a signed VOMS-style AC without the involvment of a
hypothetical third-party attribute authority.  The implementation work
necessary for such infrastructure would be just as substantial (if not more
so) than the modifications necessary for CREAM, and would become obsolete as
we move towards the "eventual goal".

Now, if your CREAM BES could support PGI-SAML embedded within PCs, it would
be trivial for the client to create a proxy certificate for itself with the
SAML attribute embedded within......

-Duane

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Moreno Marzolla <moreno.marzolla at pd.infn.it