[Pgi-wg] OGF PGI - Security Strawman

Duane Merrill dgm4d at virginia.edu
Mon Mar 23 15:47:31 CDT 2009

Etienne,

Wow, you have reproduced the Strawman document perfectly, albeit in a higher
level of description.  The intent of the Strawman document is to focus
precisely on the security data transported (i.e., issues that affect wire
format), including syntax definitions for for attributes (SAML and VOMS-like
ACs) so that they may carry the same information.

The only differences between your text below and the Strawman are that you
discuss several non "data-defined" issues that, while mentioned by Strawman,
were considered out of scope:

   - Strawman abstracted away the notion of an Information Service by
   describing the format of endpoint reference documents(EPRs) that describe
   security requirements/expectations.  (This EPR information *might *be
   returned by such hypothetical informational services, or by other
   means.  Hence the Strawman was focusing on security-data defined, as per
   your outset motivation.)
   - Strawman considered the establishment of trust roots as out of scope.
   As you (and the Strawman) mention, such trust must be configured, but is not
   germane to the data *communicated* during a simple request-response
   exchange.
   - Strawman considered the provision of delegation token(s) to a service
   (e.g., BES) as out of scope.  As you (and the Strawman) mention,
   it generally must be done for certain agent-style services, but through
   an "application" layer (e.g., through WS-Trust STS interface, etc.).  The
   Strawman discusses how a client (e.g., an agent-BES) would communicate with
   delegated credentials, not how it obtains them.

I just have one question for you: precisely how is (3.4.2) delegation
accommodated using SAML assertions?  (A delegation chain must exist
somewhere, and it could be achieved by using a proxy certificate -- the EEC
of which is asserted in the SAML attribute -- to sign SOAP messages bodies.
Is this what you were envisioning?  Or does Unicore not envision the true
delegation of SAML attributes.....)

-Duane