[Pgi-wg] Sec: Agreement on attributetransportmechanismsforAttrAuthZ

Duane Merrill dgm4d at virginia.edu
Mon Mar 23 10:47:12 CDT 2009

Oh, I agree that the Unicore-using-ACs-in-EECs scenario has some logistical
drawbacks for the Unicore callers, particularly when the caller is a user
and not a static service/agent.

Another (better?) way of architecting a Unicore->EGEE bridge would be for
the shared EGEE services to support the extraction of Unicore
(equivalent-to-VOMS-ACs) SAML assertions from the SOAP message header.  The
attributes would carry the same semantic information as VOMS-ACs and, once
distilled, could be wired up the the existing EGEE authz infrastructure.
 This is essentially a "receiver-makes-right" approach.  (In the other
direction, select Unicore endpoints could process and extract the VOMS
information from ACs obtained from proxy certificates during SSL handshake,
extract the VO membership information, and wire it up to their existing
authz infrastructure.)

Honestly, a "receiver-makes-right" approach to interop is the most sensible
for two reasons:

   1. *Not all endpoints in a mixed-grid environment need to interoperate:
   only the services that are intended for cross-grid sharing*.  A
   progressive roadmap to interoperability can save a huge amount of
   development/testing effort (e.g., no need to replace non-standard
   GSI-OpenSSH libraries everywhere; only in select endpoints advertised to
   other grids)
   2. *Some changes to client-side credentialling infrastructure may simply
   not be possible*.  (For example, an EGEE agent could hypothetically
   acquire equivalent SAML attributes for calling into a Unicore service, but
   would be unable to sign them with anything other than a proxy-certificate.
   Thus it would make sense for the select Unicore interop services to support
   proxy-path-validation at the transport and/or message layer.)

-Duane