[Pgi-wg] TLS : OpenSSL and GSI implementations - gLite 3.2 released today

Etienne URBAH urbah at lal.in2p3.fr
Mon Mar 23 08:04:51 CDT 2009

To all,

Concerning various implementations of TLS to handle X509 certificates
and proxies, it seems that :

-  DEISA (Unicore) uses the OpenSSL implementation of TLS to process
X509 certificates,

-  EGEE (gLite) and NorduGrid (ARC) use the GSI (Globus Security
Infrastructure) implementation of TLS to process X509 proxies,

-  The OpenSSL and GSI implementations of TLS seem to be INCOMPATIBLE
(see mails below of Weizhong QIANG and Duane MERRIL).

This would make any interoperability very difficult.

But the situation is perhaps NOT so desperate :

-  EGEE has just released gLite version 3.2 today 23 March 2009.

-  In slide 3 of the presentation 'Middleware update' performed at CERN
GDB on 11 March 2009 and which is available at
http://indico.cern.ch/getFile.py/access?sessionId=7&resId=1&materialId=0&confId=45473
    Andreas UNTERKIRCHER explains that gLite 3.2 uses VDT 1.10, which
uses 'system OpenSSL'.

==>  Can Andreas UNTERKIRCHER provide more precisions, and confirm that
this permits interoperability at the X509 level ?

==>  Can the PGI chairs plan an interoperability test ASAP to check if
this really work ?

In hope that the above informations and suggestions are useful.

Best regards.

Etienne URBAH          IN2P3 - LAL
Bat 200     91898 ORSAY     France
Tel: +33 1 64 46 84 87