[Pgi-wg] Sec: Agreement on SOAP and authentication

Jens Jensen j.jensen.ral at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 21 11:25:35 CDT 2009

Morris Riedel wrote:
> Hi security folks,
>

>   reading certain elements of the IIRM, strawman, and following discussions
> on the list - I see there is still no common agreement on SOAP / HTTP(S) in
> some areas.

Trying to pick up the thread, I have read it now (not necessarily
understood :-)...  I skimmed PGI_COMM v0.3, mainly asking to clarify
whether things are in scope.

Note the difference between PKC validation is that in Globusy grids the
web service must have the whole CA certificate chain installed from the
EE cert to a self signed root; for a proxy the client is required to
supplement the chain by sending the intermediate certificates (viz, the
user certificate and intermediate proxies).  There are cases where this
provides additional security.

Thus a web service provider needs the CA hierarchy installed - this is
(being) documented by CAOPS.  In a sense the proxy hierarchy underneath
it is more dynamic.  In a sense this makes it more usable at the cost of
some loss of security.

One other point, nobody so far (that I could see) mentioned the gLite
delegation service.  This would provide a way to keep delegation but
still have SSL/TLS sockets.

One other point.  Most HTTPS/SOAP connections in practice are opened on
demand.  Every time the client makes a call (I don't believe anyone ever
implemented notifications, instantiated from the server), a new SSL
socket is negotiated.  This turns out to be comparatively expensive, and
there are suggestions for how to improve this.  Is this within the scope
of the document?

There are proposals for streaming SOAP, is that within the scope of this
document?  Support for this would be useful for some of our applications.

One other point, turns out there is some debate about the role of the
trust anchors in SAML-based trust federations (Shibboleth ones
specifically).  Their approach is in practice often distinct from
typical grid PKIs.  Is this within the scope of the document?

Is the work supposed to be specific to SOAP or are other things carried
by HTTPS or HTTPG relevant?

One thing that would be useful is to have an overview of which WS-* are
actually implemented in usable libraries.  I will not touch WS-Anything
unless it has a (preferably open source) implementation in C++ which
interoperates with a Java ditto (usually Java supports WS-Anything first).

Regards
--jens