[Pgi-wg] Sec: Agreement on SOAP and authentication

Duane Merrill dgm4d at virginia.edu
Fri Mar 20 07:52:20 CDT 2009

I strongly disagree.

Proxy certs require *additional* path validation.  You *still* have to do
the same PKC path validation on the EEC that the proxies chain to.  This
work has to be done regardless of whether there are proxy certificates in
the chain.  This is a clear "is-a" relationship, a superset of functionality
with PCs.

Let me illustrate with an analogy:  You are tasked to provide requirements
for an email system.  What you are suggesting is analagous to a requirement
that

"The email system must EITHER support email-without-attachments OR
email-with-attachments."

My point is that if you build an email system to support
email-with-attachments you have implicitly already built a system to support
email-without-attachments.

If you make it a requirement to reject PKCs explicitly, you are creating
unnecessary additional complexity in both your services (by explicitly
rejecting certs that do not have the proxy extension) and in your clients
(by mandating that callers with statically-assigned credentials create a
proxy to delegate to themselves just so they can use your service).

-Duane