[Pgi-wg] Sec: Agreement on attribute transport mechanisms forAttrAuthZ

Morris Riedel m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Fri Mar 20 05:08:20 CDT 2009

Good morning Aleksandr,

  >-I see no reason for "either". Also it would be nice to define used
terms.
>-AFAIK there are no restrictions for using X.509 proxies (aka PC) in TLS.
As long as
>-we are talking about
>-standardaized PCs (RFC 3820) of course.
>-For infrastructures relying on full or partial/restricted X.509 identity
delegation PC
>-(proxy certificate) is
>-a must. But I see no reason why that should exclude usage of ordinary
X.509
>-certificates/keys as
>-mean for identifying (direct or through attributes) communicating parties.

The reason is basically to precisely define what an endpoint supports, if do
not define this precisely interoperability will break since there is a big
difference using TLS with or without proxies for the authN check. The either
is a reason to make it more simpler although there is a polymorphic
dependency, but this is not always helpful for the implementations.

Example:

(a)
For instance, if we would only claim that the UNICORE Gateway (AuthN check
for end-users) supports the PGI_TLS w/o knowing if it uses proxies or not:

If you then use your ARC-Client with proxies and access the Gateway you
fail, because the AuthN check only checks for full end-entity certificates.

(b)
For instance, if we would claim that UNICORE Gateway supports PGI_GSI (so
proxies including some newly defined PGI revocation mechanism since this is
a general GSI problem, or proxy problem although they have limited lifetime)
:

If you then use your ARC client with proxies and access the Gateway you win,
because the AuthN check climbs up the whole proxy-hierarchy.

If we use our own UNICORE Client with full end-entity certificates it works
as well since PGI_GSI MAY include PGI_TLS (your polymorphic item).

### Conclusions and motivation for either:

(a)
So clearly every service that do supports PGI_GSI is able to accept client
request based on PGI_TLS only

(b)
But every service that purely supports PGI_TLS is not able to accept client
requests based on PGI_GSI

Bottom line: the either is needed for differentiation including inherently
your statement of polymorphism that only indicated 'one direction' or 'is-a'
and not the other direction!

Does it sound more clear now why we need such a mechanism of describing
exactly which of both is needed for AUTH?

Take care,
Morris

EASY to
>-understand and less flexible compared to the wide variety of (OGF,OASIS)
>-specifications having the least dependencies to other specs as possible.
>->
>-> // precondition
>-> (a) Authentication profile as one plumbing to be agreed before
(precondition)
>-> Simple: You agree on either on full X.509 certs (TLS) or restricted
X.509 proxies
>-(GSI) on transport level
>-
>-I see no reason for "either". Also it would be nice to define used terms.
>-AFAIK there are no restrictions for using X.509 proxies (aka PC) in TLS.
As long as
>-we are talking about
>-standardaized PCs (RFC 3820) of course.
>-For infrastructures relying on full or partial/restricted X.509 identity
delegation PC
>-(proxy certificate) is
>-a must. But I see no reason why that should exclude usage of ordinary
X.509
>-certificates/keys as
>-mean for identifying (direct or through attributes) communicating parties.
>-
>->
>->
>-> (b) Attr-based AuthZ profile as another plumbing to be agreed on top of
AuthN
>-> Simple: You agree on either SAML assertions or AC VOMS attribute
packages.
>-
>-Here I see no reason on either again. As long as information carried
inside
>-assertion/attribute is
>-semantically identical (or at least convertable) the envelope used to
carry it is of little
>-importance.
>-Of course both ways should be properly defined  - without "this is out
scope and
>-should be provided
>-by other profile" sentences.
>-As for comparing SAML assertions to VOMS AC safety wise both provide
adequate
>-measures for ensuring
>-integrity and ownership of enclosed information.
>-
>->
>-> (c) transportation profiling (with two ways so far)
>->
>-> 1: if you agree on SAML assertions we put it in the SOAP header in
WS-Security
>-> (works for both options in AuthN)
>->
>-> 2: if you agree on VOMS AC we put it in the extensions of X.509
certificates
>-> (works for both options in AuthN)
>-
>->From point of view of ARC codewise there is no technical problem to
>-support both of them and also other 2 combinations of them as long
>-as all are properly defined.
>-Pesonally I would choose both for ARC services just to increase
interoperability.
>-
>->
>->
>-> Bottom Line plumbings -> Simple: One Agreement on AuthN and one
agreement
>-on AuthZ (two plumbings rather independent from each other like within
>-pipes/plumbings in a house such as warm water, sewage, cold water, etc.)
>->
>->
>-> Example: It doesn't matter if you put warm water (full X.509 certs for
AuthN) or
----