[Pgi-wg] once more about the secret geneva meeting

Balazs Konya balazs.konya at hep.lu.se
Thu Mar 19 04:41:05 CDT 2009

hi Steven, pgi folks

Steven Newhouse wrote:
Re: [Pgi-wg] PGI TelCon 2009-03-13 Meeting Minutes available for	Comments

> Which started off with a secret meeting at CERN and is now continuing
> with the co-chairs going off into a closed huddle to define their
> requirements! Hmmm... openness!

- That meeting was called by the needs of the three middleware teams
ARC/gLite/Unicore.

- we wanted to synchronize the way we extend/use JSDL/BES/Glue since all of us
had to extend these specs because we found that they were not suitable for our
requirements, these *specs without extension* were only useful for us to
participate in interop demos on SCxx and co.

- the fact: none of the three middleware teams could go to BES/JSDL/GLUE as it
is, that would have been a disaster and a huge lost of functionality

- we realized that there may be a need for a radical change, a slight profiling
may not be sufficient.

- the term "production" came as an opposite to the "hello grid demo" world.

- then we were invited to move our activity under OGF.

- ... and the progress slowed down, we couldn't even finish with cleaning up our
own drafts.

- everything, including all the draft internal notes are in the gridforge. There
is no "secret" any longer.

> The WG chairs seem to want to serialise and slow down the progress...
> there seems to be willingness within the WG to parallelise and speed up.
> Interesting contradiction! I think this is the first time of seen this
> at OGF!

Steven, the available human resources of the three middleware teams are finite.
There are things you can't parallelise.

The group started outside of OGF as a dedicated activity to solve the problem of
the 3 software stacks. We still would like to achieve that even within OGF.

We believe that we can be more efficient if we formulate our own ideas ourself.
Give us time to write up the drafts available in the gridforge in a better
consumable form.

bye,
Balazs