[Pgi-wg] modified plan for jobmanagement discussions

Moreno Marzolla moreno.marzolla at pd.infn.it
Mon Mar 16 08:41:13 CDT 2009

Steven Newhouse wrote:
> What do you mean by a draft of a 'Production Execution Service'? Is this
> going to start off with a clean sheet or analyse where the current set
> of specifications works and where they do not work and propose changes?
>
> It seems a great shame now that someone has finally volunteered to move
> forward on this to stop the work... having the call so that everyone can
> understand what the issues are (i.e. those that weren't at the original
> CERN meeting) would seem to be worthwhile use of the call.

It is important to observe that the PGI activity is not going to stall
due to this: as Balazs pointed out, the security discussion must
proceed, as a lot of work has been done and we are hopefully going to
reach an agreement shortly.

As far as the job management task is concerned, we are not going to
prepare a full proposal for a PGI execution service: this is something
which must be done by the whole PGI working group, and hopefully will
follow this initial polishment of the Geneva documents.
We were asked many times during the initial PGI teleconferences to
provide evidence that the current set of specifications and profiles is
not adequate to support the needs for our production infrastructures. We
feel that it is time to finally provide an appropriate, written answer
to these requests in the form of a well-defined set of requirements for
a production-quality job management interface. These requirements would
then help focusing the effort of the PGI group on the actual problems.
We are unlikely to give appropriate answers to those which were not
involved in the CERN meeting during the short timeframe of the call, and
the likely outcome is that we will be asked to prepare such a document
anyway.

Your co-chairs,
Balazs, Moreno and Morris.

--
Moreno Marzolla
INFN Sezione di Padova,    via Marzolo 8,   35131 PADOVA,  Italy