[Pgi-wg] modified plan for jobmanagement discussions

Balazs Konya balazs.konya at hep.lu.se
Mon Mar 16 07:53:02 CDT 2009

Dear All,

During the last teleconference a suggestion to speed up the PGI process was
made. It was proposed to start weekly phone meetings (on Wednesdays) to discuss
the computational related topics. Andrew volunteered to chair the first meeting
and provide a summary of the available documents related to computation
(http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/docman/do/listDocuments/projects.pgi-wg/docman.root.input_documents.transferred).

Since then, the PGI co-chairs have been discussing and reconsidering whether
this would really be the most efficient approach, i.e. start a discussion around
the interpretation of raw drafts.

The jobmanagement related drafts are the results of both the pre-OGF work of the
ARC/gLite/Unicore teams and the work undertaken in the GIN community group. The
drafts in their current status are rather difficult to be interpreted correctly
since they were not meant to be for public consumption, they were written as
internal working materials for a smaller group.

Since then, we never had the time to put these documents in a more readable
form. Thus, we feel that it is our responsibility to first better organize our
initial drafts, so that people can make better use of their time by reading the
improved document rather than trying to "reverse engineer" our ideas from the
current poorly written notes.

Therefore, we concluded that the PGI group would make a better progress if the
proposed modified plan was followed:

1) the initial authors of the drafts are asked to re-work their internal memos,
create a consistent write-up of their ideas, prepare a draft about the
"production execution service". This document on "production execution service"
should describe all the main aspects of a job management service needed in a
production environment. Proposed deadline for the document: 31st March

2) schedule the first jobmanagement phone conference one week after the write-up
is available: initially on 8th April.

This also means that the teleconference called for this Wednesday is not needed.

3) meanwhile, the security discussions should go forward with full speed and
hopefully result in an agreed draft.

regards,

Balazs, Moreno, Morris
PGI co-chairs