[Pgi-wg] Teleconference tomorrow, March 13th - Security

m.riedel at fz-juelich.de m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Fri Mar 13 06:49:41 CDT 2009

Thanks for your comments Etienne,

 just note that the reference model was my input to the group - the group itself may create a larger PGI ecosystem. People at OGF have been worried calling it referenc model, so in PGI we take ecosystem instead... :-)

Take care,
Morris

Morris Riedel
SW - Engineer
Distributed Systems and Grid Computing Division
Central Institute of Applied Mathematics
Research Centre Juelich
Wilhelm-Johnen-Str. 1
D - 52425 Juelich
Germany

Email:  m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Info: http://www.fz-juelich.de/zam/ZAMPeople/riedel

Phone: +49 2461 61 - 3651
Fax: +49 2461 61 - 6656

Skype: MorrisRiedel

'We work to improve ourselves and the rest of mankind.'

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt
Morris,

Concerning PGI, I completely agree with you :

Even if the original use case was focused on data staging,

SECURITY is the basis for everything.

Taking as input following presentations :

-  'PGI Reference Model' by yourself, in particular slides :
    - 18 'Security is orthogonal to layers,
    - 19 'Orthogonal Security: Plumbings',
    - 22 'Still work to do?'.

-  'Unicore : A European Grid Technology' by Shiraz MEMON, in particular
slide 7 'Standards in Unicore 6'

-  'The NorduGrid/ARC perspective', in particular slides 21 and 22
'Security capability: Wishlist'

-  'Conformance Targets for Simple PGI Communication' of GENESIS

Interoperability absolutely requires that :

1) Trust stores (for roots of trust) and Authz Repositories (like
'gridmap' files) have exactly the same semantic content (even if syntax
can differ), and are carefully distributed to all sites.

2) VOMS attributes specified inside X509 proxies and inside SAML
assertions have the same semantics, in order to permit translation in
both directions.

3) Restrictions/Constraints specified inside X509 proxies and inside
SAML assertions have the same semantics, in order to permit translation
in both directions.

4) Endpoints are specified in compliance with GLUE 2.

So, I suggest to use the presentation 'Conformance Targets for Simple
PGI Communication' of GENESIS as the basis document for our work.

We have first to agree on at least the above points inside 1 or more
Security Profiles (Semantic, Repositories, X509 syntax, SAML syntax).

Then we can successfully apply SECURITY and GLUE to improve JSDL, BES
and Data transfer & management.

Meanwhile, I thank Johannes WATZL in advance for uploading the minutes
of the PGI sessions  (in particular the remote speech by Duane MERRIL).

Besides, at OGF25, Joni HAHKALA of CERN (tel +41 22 76 76179)
Joni.Hahkala at cern.ch explained to me that gLite proxy restriction
attributes are developed by himself.

Best regards.

Etienne URBAH          IN2P3 - LAL