[Pgi-wg] Analysis results of PGI job state model

m.riedel at fz-juelich.de m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Wed Jun 10 09:55:53 CDT 2009

Hi all,

  I try to summarize the analysis of the state model, which we took as a basis on the telcon:

http://forge.ogf.org/sf/docman/do/downloadDocument/projects.pgi-wg/docman.root.input_documents.execution_service.state_model/doc15655
(doc15655: PGI Job State Model (available as ZARGO, XMI and PNG) )

This state model is a good starting point for discussion, however an analysis reveal still a few uncertain points:

(1)
Data-staging is not indicated although required - in that context we might even distinguish between manual/auto data-staging states

(2)
A restart state/possibility/transition is required at least for failed jobs - in that context it might even worth to consider restarts of succesful jobs that might only operated on 'wrong data' manually provided by the end-user during stagings - benefit: keep descriptions of jobs

(3)
reflection of hiearchy: Initially in Geneva we agreed to have kind of an approach to get a hierarchical process update. In other words, once a job is delegated, we also want to know whether the job is in delegated:Running or delegated:Pending and such like. Hence, we need an approach of desribing hiearchies in the state model missing in the current version.

We have an agreement between gLite, ARC, & UNICORE once these points are part of the state model.

Did I forgot something? Please add your comments.

Take care,
Morris

Morris Riedel
SW - Engineer
Distributed Systems and Grid Computing Division
Central Institute of Applied Mathematics
Research Centre Juelich
Wilhelm-Johnen-Str. 1
D - 52425 Juelich
Germany

Email:  m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Info: http://www.fz-juelich.de/zam/ZAMPeople/riedel

Phone: +49 2461 61 - 3651
Fax: +49 2461 61 - 6656

Skype: MorrisRiedel

'We work to improve ourselves and the rest of mankind.'

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt